Saturday, August 9, 2008

We made it

Kate made it through her first full week of staying with Deanna, her new sitter. It went great. She has already become quite fond of her. Wednesday night at church Kate saw her from across the room and lifted her arms up toward her and waved. It puts me at ease to know that she feels comfortable around her already. She even gets a little excited in the mornings when Matt tells her that she's going to Deanna's house. Kate also really likes Caleb, Deanna's son, but he will be starting back to school (1st grade) in about a week. Kate will miss playing with him all day but she'll be able to see him for a couple hours when he gets home in the afternoons.

I am also adapting better than I thought I would. I no longer feel like I need to call and check on her every hour, so that's something!

The students came back on Wednesday and I really enjoyed it. My schedule changed a little. I teach 5th grade in the mornings for two and a half hours and then P.E. in the afternoons. I really like the school I'm in and the kids are great. I LOVE teaching P.E. Most kids love P.E. so they always come to me in excitement and full of energy. It's a good feeling seeing them smiling and enjoying themselves at school. I saw a few of my students riding their bikes while I was on my run this morning and I stopped for a quick hello. They all wanted to know what we were doing in class next week and I told them they'd just have to wait and see. (adult translation: I haven't planned it yet!) Even though work is work, I think I'm going to like it.



I'm going to leave you with a quick and super simple recipe that you can make for dessert this weekend. Don't let the simplicity of the recipe fool you, it's delicious!!



Chewy Cake:

1 box brown sugar

3 eggs

2 cups chopped nuts

1 stick butter

2 cups self-rising flour



Mix all ingredients and bake in a 9x13 (or 8x8 if you want it really thick) dish at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Cool before cutting into squares.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Hi Hollie!

I was so excited to see your comment! I <3 making new friends. Your blog is just adorable and your daughter is just precious!

It's so neat that you are from Georgia because (even though we currently live in Omaha)my fiance has a ton of friends in Georgia and my good friend Lindsay is from Summerville (I'm sure I spelled that wrong - sorry).

Thanks for the comment! :)
Have a great weekend!!
Christy

TheVanzants said...

Glad I found your blog - glad you've joined the 'blog-world', it's addicting, I tell ya!
My head it always churnin' a blog post!

Kate is adorable and you're beautiful as always, I miss seeing you. Hope the school year is great!